Sunday, March 23, 2008

Poets' Corner

THE DOG SITTER

I have a Schnauzer at my feet
And as I try to get my Z's
The dog is biting at his fleas
And barking at imagined foes.
I have a Schnauzer at my feet;
I have a hell-hound at my toes.

Perhaps tonight he'll let me sleep
And fall off into slumber deep,
And rested, I'll the morning greet.
But no, the dog cannot be still.
I have a Schnauzer at my feet;
This puppy has the stronger will.
He'll be licking me upon an ear
When the sun's first golden rays appear.

God knows 'twould be better to be sound
Asleep than tortured by this pup
I'd like to cart off to the pound,
For every night he keeps me up.
A moment's rest would be so dear...
But I've a Schnauzer at my feet.
If I had sense I would get up
And kick him out upon his ear,
But no, I just admit defeat
To that darn dog that's at my feet.

Anonymous

No comments: