Thursday, December 4, 2008

Eye of the Beholder

Ernie Pyle's books are always a good choice when you have a few minutes and want to read something that will entertain, teach, or touch you with a bit of poignancy. I flipped open one of my copies of 'Home Country' last night and found this gem about Ernie's father.

"We were disappointed in my father and my cousin as tourists on their western trip. We persuaded them to come back by way of Canada so they could see Lake Louise, which I considered the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. I noticed that he never said much about it in his letters, so when we reached home next time I asked him about Lake Louise. Had they seen it? Yes, they even walked clear to the other end and back. And weren't they impressed by it, by that first breath-taking sight of the blue water and the great towering mountain and the white glacier at the far end? No, not especially. Well, what was the reason? No reason, just weren't impressed. The best thing they saw in the Canadian Rockies was when they got to Banff and went to a movie."

No comments: