Sunday, March 28, 2010

Important News From Iowa


Over on the Midwest Central Railroad Blog there is BIG news! The boiler for Engine Number 6 will soon be returning from the shop in Minnesota, and the railroaders have been busily working on the locomotive chassis in preparation for the happy event. It looks as though The 6 will be running again by Labor Day.

AND; Stranded In Iowa tells us that the Iowa Senate has passed concealed carry legislation and sent it over to the House. It is not a perfect bill, but it should provide a much better system than Iowa currently has, where citizens in many counties are not allowed to carry a weapon, based on the whims and opinions of the County Sheriff. If it is passed and signed by the governor I think that Mom will be shopping for some new hardware. Well, like she says, "You can't have too many guns!"

2 comments:

strandediniowa said...

Thanks for the link, Sam.

A lot of us were working towards the Alaska/Vermont style carry and were disappointed in this bill.

But I need to remind myself that my neighbors (Wisconsin and Illinois) are denied the right to carry at all. Although Wisconsin has open carry.

There are things in this bill that still aren't right, and some provisions that grate, but part of this bill is an improvement.

I put in almost 19 hours yesterday and another 10 today at work. I haven't had time to go back over what was passed yesterday.

"You can't have too many guns!" my wife would disagree with that and tells me so every time I bring another into the fold.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

This bill could have been better, but in a few years perhaps it can be amended and improved. I am very glad that folks in Iowa will now be allowed the means to protect themselves when they are out and about. I doubt that we will ever see legislation like this get out of committee in the Illinois legislature.