Monday, September 5, 2011

After Thirty-Five, Every Day Is The Best Day Of Your Life!

Today is a big birthday, for me, and even though it isn't sixty-five (as in the poem), that one isn't very many years away.  Big birthdays bring to mind this Robert Service poem that closes out his book, Barroom Ballads, and if I am still blogging in five years, I will post it again, just because I feel like indulging myself a bit on my birthday.
Once more my sheaf of songs I tie,
And bid them gleefully good-bye,
And feel it will not give me pain,
To never look on them again.
With metronomic measure I
Have beat them out beneath the sky.
And though my facile rhyme I curse,
Sometimes I think they might be worse;
But anyhow, as in the past,
I vow that they will be my last.
For I have come to sixty-five,
Content to feel so much alive;
And though grey-haired, I grieve to state
An unrepentant reprobate;
Admiring lads who wench and wine,
But forced, alas! to toe the line;
For I have learnt a thing or two,
As we old coves are bound to do.
I've come to know that storing health
Is better far than storing wealth;
That smug success has little worth
Beside the simple joys of earth;
That fame is but a bubble brief,
And glory vain beyond belief;
That it is good to eat and drink;
That it is bad to over-think;
That only stupid people claim
to take themselves with serious aim;
That laughter is our God's best gift -
So to  God our laughter lift;
Aye, though his wrath the Heavens split,

He grants us Scorn, to laugh at it.
And so, frail creatures of a day,
Let's have a good time while we may,
And do the very best we can
To give one to our fellow man;
Knowing that all will end with Death,
Let's joy with every moment's breath;
And lift our heads like blossoms blithe
To meet at last the Swinging Scythe.

7 comments:

danno said...

Happy Birthday TBS!

Borepatch said...

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Many happy returns, Sam!

-gsc1039

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Thanks for the kind wishes! I have been on the road most of the day, and just checked on Bea, and she is doing very well. Stay tuned for updates.

strandediniowa said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Sam.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Thanks, Stranded! Bea was really tickled to get a card from you.

strandediniowa said...

I'm glad, Sam. My wife wanted to send the one with kittens. We sent a package out yesterday and hope all of you enjoy.