Saturday, December 31, 2011

63 Years Ago This Evening...

 My parents, Bea and Dwain tied the knot.  One year later my sister was born, and it's hard to believe that she is 62 now. 
 Dad's last visit to the farm was in 2003.  He and Mom helped us perform some repairs on the back side of the barn.
 Dad thought it was pretty funny the way I was always cranking up a chainsaw to do carpenter repairs, and he did get me converted to using a Skilsaw for some tasks. 
We sent a 6" tall swamp white oak seedling that had popped up under one of our trees.  He planted it, and this photo shows how it looked in September, 2010.  Cancer took him in '05.  I found out that he had never seen True Grit with John Wayne the night before he died, and I had just left the store where I bought the DVD for him when I got the call that he had passed.  Mom's doing a good job of hanging in there and living an active life, in spite of the trials of being 80 years old. New Year's Eve is a great day to get married; everyone who knows you can remember your anniversary.  At least it worked for me.

4 comments:

KurtP said...

Happy anniversary Bea!

Borepatch said...

What a great post. Happy anniversary, and best wishes for the new year.

Swamp Dog said...

My Sweet Thing and I were married on New Years Day, that way I wouldn't forget an be in the dog house!

Billll said...

I got married on New Years Day as well, about 5 minutes after the toasts and celebratory gun fire.

It was an interesting party.