Saturday, January 28, 2012

Weekend Steam



CutterMedia posted this work of art. Their writeup:  "This is an accurate 1/16 scale operating model of the engine which powered the Civil War Ironclad USS Monitor. It was invented and built by John Ericsson in 1861 and was extremely compact for it's 300  horsepower at that time. Only one engine was ever built exactly as displayed, and it was retrieved from the ocean floor by the US Navy in 2001, and resides in the Mariners Museum ,Newport News VA, for conservation work. The model required over 3000 hours to build and all pieces including fittings and fasteners were
made from scratch ."

3 comments:

Irish said...

Trainwreck in Maxwell sent me this link.. that is amazing. I hope you don't mind if I post and link to you.

Regards,

Pissed :)

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Thanks for the link! I looked at your blog and I will be adding you to my list. David N

Irish said...

Thank you I will add yours as well :)

Regards,

Pissed