Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mom's Been Shopping Again

I visited Mom a few days ago, and we stayed inside to beat the heat most of the time.  One of the places we hid from the heat wave was the Coralville Scheel's store, and we spent a lot of time looking at rifles.  Most guys don't spend much time thinking about the fit of rifles, but fit and weight are a big deal if you are a 100 pound octogenarian.  Mom was getting a bit frustrated when a salesman came along and asked we had looked at a Ruger 10/22 Compact.  It fit, and she can stand flat-footed and shoot this fine little gun.  It has bright fiber-optic sights, and she is sticking with them rather than put a scope on it.

We rose early every morning to go to the range while I was home, and over the next two days she ran a brick through her new rifle, and several hundred through her 22/45 Hunter.  She enjoyed having me there to stuff mags, and I enjoyed watching her shoot.

Mom's not entering the July e-Postal contest, but I think she is doing pretty well with her 22/45.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

She's bringing that to the Rendezvous, right?

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Mom and I won't be there this year. Three surgeries in less than a year have crimped her style a bit, and she doesn't want to get too far from home. Zeke is still planning to be there.