Friday, July 27, 2012

You, Windage and Elevation, and the Mr. Completely e-Postal Contest


Mr. Completely's monthly e-Postal match is a great way to keep your shooting skills tuned up, and to keep your familiarity up to date with the various guns in your collection.  I took the Hi-Point out behind the barn to shoot this month's target, and the results illustrate the importance of those immortal words John Wayne proclaimed in one of his movies: "Windage and Elevation."

The centerline of the red dot scope on top of the Hi-Point is 2 1/2 inches above the center of the barrel, and I have elevation set so the first intersection of the line of sight with the trajectory is 25 yards.  I was shooting the target at 50 feet, and didn't allow for elevation on my first shots.  It wouldn't be a big deal if you were shooting at steel plates, or a big target like a coyote, but little differences mean a lot when you are shooting at small game.  My first target with the Hi-Point scored Minus Ten, when I should have shot 100, given the tight groups this little gun produces. 

I bet you need some practice, too, so Click Here to print your target, and read the rules.  Submit your targets to truebluetravelinman (at) gmail (dot) com, and I will post the results early in August.

No comments: