Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Visiting Moman'em


True Blue Sam is up in Iowa, visiting Mom (Bea to all of you blog followers), and we had some serious business to tend to.  I have been shooting a Ruger Mk III for many months now, and getting along with it just fine.  It even does brain shots on possums at 25 yards, which is not an easy shot to make.  I decided to buy a new Mk III for Mrs. True Blue Sam, and told my FFL friend to find a Competition model.  He called me a few days later, and had only sad news.  I told him then to find a stainless Mk III Target model, because I wanted the Mrs. to have a better gun than mine.  Well, no dice.  Jack called and said that stainless Mk III's were unavailable, too; but he had found some blue Mk III target models like mine, and bought them all, so I had one for the Mrs.   I put a good red dot on top and sighted it in easily, but the trigger pull seemed a bit stiff, even for a new Ruger.   I checked the weight of the pull, and her new gun needed six pounds, eleven ounces to pop a primer.

I brought Susan's new gun with me on the trip to Iowa, and on Monday, Mom and I took a tour up to Montezuma and picked up a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit at Brownells.  We tore into Susan's pistol after lunch and soon had a very nice, light, crisp, trigger in her Ruger.  Range time is scheduled for Tuesday, and I have to scoot home Wednesday ahead of the Bliz-Zard that is scheduled for Wednesday night and Thursday.

If you have a Ruger Mk I, II, or III, you know that the manual tells you not to mess around in the guts of the frame.  That is good advice if you are not mechanically adventurous, but through the magic of the internet we all can see how to tear the Rugers down to the bare frame and put them back together again.  Below are two Ruger videos, which show how to do the basic teardown and reassmbly, and the middle one is from Brownell's showing how to do a deep disassembly and reassembly, to install the Volquartsen kit.  The safety removal and reinstallation is something that you must pay close attention to.  The detent on the safety has a spring behind it, and it can fly if you are not careful.  Hold the safety up against the frame as you take it out and put it back, and rotate it carefully to relieve the spring tension behind the detent as you remove the part, and to trap the detent as you reinstall it.  The only problem I had was seeing clearly with my old eyes as I was putting things back together.  DO have some small needle-noses as the gunsmith in Brownells video advises.  If you don't have punches for lining things up during reassembly, use drill bit shanks.




 Mom and I will be hitting the range on Tuesday for some much needed trigger time before winter really settles in. We will be doing function testing on Susan's gun to make sure it works the way we want it to. We don't have a scale to check the trigger pull weight here, but it is safe to say that it is now less than half what it was.

Skipper came along with me on this trip, and he likes Mom.  He met Bear, a Schipperke that lives around the block from Mom, and we will probably visit him again before I head south.

No comments: