Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Dropping A Hollow Honey Locust

I love days like this one when I have the opportunity to cut trees all day, and someone else cleans up the mess.  It's one of the reasons I like my job. The video begins as I complete the face cuts, and then walk around to punch in behind the hinge.  This tree was hollow, and you will see that at the end after it is on the ground.  It was open in the front, leaving room only for two short hinge segments.  It tangles with a pin oak about 1/2 way down, and rotates, breaking the hinge at that time.  Other than the hinge breaking early, this drop went as planned, and the docks were not damaged.  This tree had at least five feet of side lean, and that was of some concern.  If we had dropped it by aiming more to the left to lessen the side lean, the tree would have landed solidly on the dock, so we pushed the limit on fighting lean, and won.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a LOT of lean...

Merle

David aka True Blue Sam said...

It was at the limit for the way I figure them. I am glad the tree hung onto the stump as long as it did.