Saturday, July 25, 2015

Sighting In With Inches, Minutes, Clicks



 I had to do more editing than I like with this video because of walking out and back to change targets, but both of these rifles sighted in well. The 10/22 is a 1985 model that I bought used down at Larry's Gun Shop in McLeansboro many years ago. It came with the walnut Sporter stock and a Tasco scope. It now has the stock off of Pattie's rifle, because we put an aftermarket adjustable length stock on hers. The trigger group in this old rifle is from Susan's Magnum Research 1722 (Copy of Ruger's 10/22)  because we put her trigger group from the Sporter in the new rifle. That trigger is one of Ruger's all metal assemblies with the addition of some Volquartsen parts. The trigger pull on that one is just over 2 pounds. The trigger that came in the Magnum Research rifle is a polymer frame Ruger trigger group, and the pull is 3 pounds. I need to change the trigger return spring to make it more to our liking. The scope is a Redfield Battlezone TAC 22 from Midway, because they are on sale right now. The Red Dot is a Sightmark that we picked up from Amazon, and we are going to try that on steel plates on Pistol League nights. It should work well on 'possums and racoons, too. The adjustment clicks seemed to be right on the money on both of these scopes, and that is always a good thing to see when you are working with a new scope.

3 comments:

Merle said...

I sure wish red dots had been available back when I used to hunt possums, skunks and raccoons at night. Back then I had young eyes, so made do with a flashlight & the painted "fat" sights on my British Enfield 38 S&W.

Now I'd probably hurt myself trying to move quickly thru the forest.

Merle

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Good sights let you put multiple shots in the vitals, and that's good. If I need to kill a varmint, I want it dead quickly. One shot from a .22 on a coon is not enough.

Merle said...

My buddy had a Colt New Frontier 22 LR/22 mag & it wasn't the best choice for possums, either. It was told to me that they were too dumb to know they were dead. I loaded hollow base wadcutters in my little 38 S&W and it usually only took one shot. The big, flat nose sure was effective.

Merle