Saturday, August 13, 2016

Dialing In Non-Adjustable Guns

In this brief video we take a look at a Ruger Shopkeeper, and do a little comparison with the Birdshead Vaquero.  I have taken a bit off the front sight to raise the point of impact, and I am working on load combinations.  The load today is 9 grains of Blue Dot behind a 200 grain cast bullet, which is not a magnum load.  It shoots very close to the proper elevation.  I can go to a 240 grain cast bullet and speed it up a bit and that should work, too.  I have been gradually working out the rear sight groove to the right, a thousandth at a time, and it is having the proper effect.

The little Bearcat also shoots left a bit, so I will eventually be taking a diamond hone to that gun.  Mini-Mags shoot a little bit low at 50 feet, so minor surgery will need to be done on the front sight.


4 comments:

Merle Morrison said...

Are you considering getting the 3-1/2" Bearcat?
That short ejector stroke always bothered me.

Merle

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I sort of jumped ahead of my budget with the Vaquero! But a longer Bearcat is on my possibles list. Right now I need to order a couple holsters, and they aren't exactly chicken feed, so another gun purchase is going to wait a bit. I have found with the three inch barrel that you can push an empty out most of the way, and then catch the top end of the empty by turning the cylinder, and then you can pop them out.

thinkingman said...

Well presented, Sir! I had to do the same rear sight adjustment on a .45 Colt Vaquero, anyone doing so will need to have the required skill with fine tools, and PATIENCE. Guns with a short sight radius require less correction than those with longer barrels- think of how big the difference is downrange from up close- 1/10 of an inch error in a sight radius of 5 inches is further off the mark at 25 yards than a 1/10th inch error in a sight radius of , say, 8 inches.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Thinking Man: Thanks for visiting. Luckily, the math is simple with no algebra required. Anyone who has learned to do the math on sighting in with a scope can figure this out, but you must have calipers so you can measure to the thousandth. This is where a stainless gun really shines. If this was a blued gun I would just have to live with the sights the way they are.