Thursday, January 25, 2018

Hopelessly Lost, Indecisive?


Nope, this is what it looks like when you do a 100% inventory.  I was tallying every tree in a city park, getting the species, size, condition, plus latitude and longitude.  I am kind of surprised by my straight track at the end of this round as I went back to the park office before I left.  You have to be systematic as you go from tree to tree or you never finish.  Go with someone who is marking a timber sale and be ready to walk steadily all day long.  One of the things you do when marking timber is to size up log length on trees as you move through the woods.  You cannot judge the number of logs from the bottom of the tree.  Either you back off and measure, or you figure out trees as you walk, based on trees you have measured. 

No comments: