Wednesday, May 2, 2018

As Summer Approaches, People Get In Their Boats


Forty-five years ago I went under that rock.  My friends say that I was under there for a long time, and I remember it well.  I popped up on this downstream side because I was wearing a life vest.  I am a poor swimmer, so I have never been too proud to wear one.  Davey Kannapel was in his canoe a short distance from where I came up.  He extended a paddle and said only, "Grab the paddle."  He was an Eagle Scout and he did not want a near drowning victim to touch his canoe.  If you go boating, wear your vest.  If you see someone's kid without a vest, read them the Riot Act.  Crap happens fast.

3 comments:

danno said...

...And never enter a machine shop without safety glasses.

Merle said...

Add this to your personal list of "don't ever"......

Merlw

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I gotta say that I don't want to do that again, and we haven't gone back to the Obed River. It is little rough for mediocre canoeists.