Saturday, September 1, 2018

More Weekend Steam: Fifty Years Of Stationary Steam At Old Threshers!


This video, by one of our YouTube steam friends, OldieCarl, shows the Murray Corliss Engine. It was the first engine in the Stationary Steam Building at Old Threshers, back in 1968. Everyone was amazed and all the engineers on the traction engines were talking about it. It was a big project, but it was just a start, and the engines that came later have dwarfed it. It is special, though, and you will enjoy watching and listening to the dashpots close the valves. What a treat! Looking through my YouTube videos I see that I do not have this engine captured. I must go back to Mt. Pleasant in another year and correct that. I do have the Marshalltown Corliss, which is huge, and the Corliss from the Mental Hospital at Mt. Pleasant. Those are big ones.


1 comment:

John in Philly said...

Good videos. There's a large Corliss at the Rough and Tumble Engineers museum not very far from me but the bore size escapes me at this moment. (that problems is becoming distressingly more common)