Thursday, September 6, 2018

Weekend Assignment To Myself


I began carving this Biltmore stick almost a year ago, and responsibilities around Patti's place have limited my time.  I have the head nearly up to the top now, and intend to finish this project over the weekend.  The wood is tiger-stripe hickory, and I hope the figure really pops when it is varnished.  I have made about forty sticks for various foresters but have not done one for several years.  This one is special because it is for the new forester that took my place at Fairfield.  The numbers will be placed for a 23 inch reach.  Standard sticks are made for a 25 inch reach, but the kicker is this stick will be a left-handed model; a first for me and maybe the first one ever.  I will take pictures before I pass it on.

2 comments:

Merle said...

Is this going to be a surprise for the new forester?

Merle

David aka True Blue Sam said...

No; I had to ask her about her Biltmore reach so I could get that right. I hope she likes the left hand feature. If it doesn't work out I will add numbers to the other side and make it an ambi model.