Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Complex Dog Mind

We don't give dogs enough credit for their smarts.  Junior regularly communicates wordlessly with me, and Jack has done that, too, since he picked us out in 2008.


Telepathic Jack


Anyway, Jack and I have a routine.  I come home at night and feed him his dog food before I feed the cats, and then I go out and toss a glucosamine dog biscuit and a couple of other treats in his doghouse for him.  I was late getting home the other day, so Susan fed him his kibbles before I got home, but not his treats.  I came home and took care of my cats, then I broke his biscuit in two, grabbed a couple of his treats, and also some kibble.  I went out on the porch and put it all in his food bowl.

Jack came over to his bowl, picked up one of the biscuit halves and stopped.  He stood there with his mouth over his bowl, drooling with his biscuit in his mouth, thinking.  He laid the biscuit down next to his bowl, ate his kibbles, then his treats, and finally his biscuit.  Who knew that a dog could think about the order of eating his food, and saving the favorite piece for last?  He never ceases to amaze me.

No comments: