Friday, November 10, 2017

Marines' Birthday

Back in 1975 the Marine Corps had a tree planting program to commemorate their bi-centennial.  They arranged to have tree plantings at schools around the country, and coordinated with state forestry agencies to get the trees and tools to the schools so the kids could do the planting.  I was involved with one of my good forester friends, and two Marines.   I wish I had written down their names.  One was an officer, and the other was a Sergeant.  Anyhow, I looked on Google Earth and the trees are there.  They are the white pines up on the hill behind the Pikeville, Kentucky Elementary School building.  I bet most of the projects were mowed down in short order by the grounds maintenance people at schools, because any change makes life difficult, and little trees are easy to run over.  Up in the mountains, though, nobody mows the hillsides, and these trees made it!  I am pleased.


2 comments:

Merle said...

It's good to see that at least some cared enough to preserve their trees.

Merle

David aka True Blue Sam said...

It made my day!