Thursday, January 19, 2012

2" X 4" Kit

Kentucky coffetree seedpods have been falling, and we picked some up for a fellow blogger who wants to add coffeetree to his new forest.  The seeds are inside these thick-walled pods with a jelly surrounding them, much like honeylocust seedpods.  The seeds need to be kept cool after they come out of the pods.  Let them dry out, and the hard seed coat will shrink and split.  We left jelly on most of the seeds, and sealed them in sandwich bags so they should be OK in the mail.

Tall timber, coming right up!  These will be mailed to Stranded today, and he can figure on cutting lumber from them in about forty years.

1 comment:

strandediniowa said...

What's wrong with us, Sam? We want to be nice guys and we recruit our wives to the work. Your wife to shell seed pods and mine knitted hats for your mom. ;)

At forty years that would make me 89. Since my grandpa lived to 92, I'd say I stand a fair chance to be able to use a board or two.

These will be planted as part of my "Legacy" trees. Seeds and saplings that come from friends and family or from trees that I planted years ago. I downloaded more info from the USDA for this and several other trees we plan for this year.

This lowly farm-boy thanks you, Sam. I appreciate you and your wife's effort to make Camp Stranded a better place.