Thursday, March 13, 2008

Crankin' It Up

Faeries! Blarney! Shillelaghs! The Old Sod! It's that time of year when we all get to be Irish. These songs will make even an old Swede misty. Have a great St. Patrick's Day!




This is a record which was loved to death, so here are the lyrics to help you enjoy Annie Laurie.

Annie Laurie
Maxwellton braes are bonnie where early fa's the dew
And it's there that Annie Laurie gied me her promise true
Gied me her promise true and n'er forgot will be
And for bonnie Annie Laurie I'd lay me doon an' dee

Like dew on the gowan lying is the fa' of her fairy feet
And like winds in summer sighing her voice is low and sweet
Her voice is low and sweet and she's a' the worls tae me
And for bonnie Annie Laurie I'd lay me doon and dee

How many of you have spotted the problem here? Sure, John McCormack is a Genuine Irish Tenor, but the song Annie Laurie is a Scottish song. I have listened to this record many times, but it wasn't until I looked up the lyrics that the light went on. I also have a record of him singing Marcheta, a Spanish love song. You have to wonder if there is a Mariachi band somewhere performing the Irish Washerwoman. Part of my ancestral line is Scotch-Irish, so both these songs work for me.

No comments: