Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Mini Ammo Can; Yay or Nay?


Right or wrong, I have been carrying extra ammo in old 35 mm film cans for decades.  They hold 6 .357s or 4 .44s or .45s, and the cartridges stay clean and dry.  When I carry I usually have a Ruger single action with me whether I am hunting, cutting wood, or cruising timber. I never have needed a reload, but I like to have it handy.  Forty years ago in Pike County, Kentucky, I had a timber rattler appear at my feet from under a rock.  The landowner was right next to me and my dog, Merky, was coming on the run because I had called him.  I missed the rattler's head with the first shot from my Blackhawk, but got it with the second.  Other times I have used .22 Magnum snakeshot on copperheads.  You can put several reloads of .22 Mag in one of these containers.

What brings this up is I got an "Are You Serious" and "Get A Speedloader" from a couple of commenters on Facebook recently.  I have been questioning myself ever since, but I don't see a problem.  This works for me, so is it a good idea, or not?

6 comments:

John said...

Cartridges in a speedloader carried in a pocket are going to collect lint and other crap...every time I've run a chainsaw for an extended period I've come home with sawdust in my pockets...

If you are carrying a single action revolver, what good is a speed loader?

A 35mm film canisters in your pocket is going to keep the cartridges clean, dry, and protected, and not hanging on your belt where they can (WILL) get caught on things.

Carry on!

John in Philly said...

If it isn't broken, why fix it?
The key is that it's working for you.
I wish now I had kept all those plastic film cans.

Old 1811 said...

The only disadvantages I can see are (1) an incomplete reload for the .44, and (2) the fact that if you dump the rounds into your hand for a reload, half of them are facing the wrong way, so it adds a little fiddling to the whole process. But 35mm film containers are small, light, dustproof, and can be carried in your pocket, so if it works for you, it's good.
But what will you do when the Digital Trust makes film obsolete and there are no more 35mm film cans?

David aka True Blue Sam said...

My stash of film cans will probably outlive me!

Merle said...

I didn't have any film canisters, so I settled for an MTM ammo wallet - nice and flat and held a bit more ammo. Now there are problems with packs of wild dogs, so I'm inclined to bump up to an auto with a spare mag or two.

Bottom line, it's up to you to evaluate your situation, and choose accordingly.

The Freeholder said...

There's an old saying--"If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid." Carry your ammo how it works best for you.