Tuesday, September 10, 2024

A Visit With The Electrophysiologist!

 We made important progress today on my bradycardia problem. We went to Barnes-Jewish/Wash U in St. Louis, where we should have gone in the beginning. I have two problems. Bradycardia. (slow heartbeat) and PVCs, (Premature Ventricular Contractions). We learned a lot in an hour long visit with the doctor. The PVCs are the bigger problem. PVCs make the ventricles contract when they should be filling with blood, which inhibits the pumping action. This is likely causing more symptoms than the slow heartbeat. Treating the PVCs with medications will make the heartbeat issue worse by slowing the heart more. Treating the slow heartbeat with a pacemaker will not get rid of the PVCs, so next week we are going back for an echocardiogram to learn more about what my heart is doing. After that we will be choosing how I will be treated. Most likely at this point is catheter ablation, then monitoring to see how I do without a pacemaker. The doctor assured me that I can go on with my normal activities, as long as I don't push myself into tachycardia, which I have done a few times. 

From a Google Search:  Catheter ablation is a minimally invasive procedure that can treat premature ventricular contractions (PVCs): 

 
  • How it works
    A catheter is inserted into the heart through a vein in the groin, and radiofrequency is used to destroy the tissue causing the PVCs. 
     
  • When it's recommended
    Catheter ablation is often the preferred treatment for PVCs, especially for patients with monomorphic PVCs. It's also recommended for patients who don't respond to medications or cardiac resynchronization therapy. 
     
  • Success rate
    Catheter ablation can eliminate PVCs in up to 85% of patients. 
     
  • Recovery
    After the procedure, patients typically lie flat for a few hours and can usually go home the same day. Some soreness is normal and shouldn't last more than a week. 

1 comment:

John in Philly said...

I'm fortunate in that my PVCs haven't been severe, or often enough to warrant anything being done.
I needed to take an extra day or so off after the process because I was radioactive enough to set off detection pagers, and that would have been a problem at the airport.
Hoping the best for you.