Saturday, September 22, 2012

Weekend Steam: Who's That Knocking?



The Peerless engine was on the Baker Fan at Pinckneyville in August. Something has a little slack in the engine and is making a pretty good knock.  I was guessing that it was in the crosshead, and you can see one of the engineers go up close for a listen.

Engine noises have always worried me, and I listen for things constantly when an engine is running.  My 1923 Model T had a bad throw on the number three cylinder, and I became skilled at dropping the pan, and adjusting the slack out of the rod bearing.  (Loose Model T rods make a very loud clatter, and you had better stay throttled down so you don't pound the babbit out of the bearing.)  Dad located a good crank and we pulled the engine out of the old truck.  Dad had that engine apart and back together in one day while I was at school, so he would have made a pretty good Model T mechanic.  He taught me to take it easy on machines, and to not be tearing them up through abuse, and I had to be retrained a bit when I was working an oil field job.  I was taking some tools into a cable rig on a muddy lease, and couldn't get the two wheel drive Chevy back to the rig.  The driller took the wheel and told me, "You've got to build a fire in that son of a .....!"  And he did, with the motor revved wide open, mud flying, and smoke boiling off the tires, he got that truck to the back of his rig.  We off-loaded the tools and he drove it back out again, just as loud and wild.  It was a good demonstration, and I always got to the rigs after that, although I don't know how the trucks held together. 

Getting back to the steam engine, the rod bearing on this engine is adjustable, but the crosshead bearing is not.  That is why I think that the crosshead is doing the clicking.  The main bearings on the crankshaft would project a deeper and less definite note.  My guess is that the Peerless is half torn down between shows now, and some newly fitted parts will have it running quietly in October.

No comments: