Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Touch Greatness

I was visiting a friend in his office on Monday, and as we took care of some paperwork, I mentioned that Tuesday was Ernie Pyle's 110th birthday. He said, "Who's Ernie Pyle?" You have to wonder how anyone of the post-WW II generation grew up without hearing of Ernie Pyle, but it seems that only a few of us keep his memory alive. If you haven't read any of Ernie's posts lately, type his name in the search box in the upper left of this blog for a sample of his work that has been posted on True Blue Sam. We need a few people like Ernie Pyle today.

You probably noticed the library number on "Home Country." Libraries all over the country have discarded Ernie's books. That particular book used to be in the Wayne City, Illinois High School library. You have to wonder what took its place.

2 comments:

strandediniowa said...

Probably "Harry Potter and the Creature of Mediocrity" or some such crap.

Bill Maudlin is one of my favorites of the WWII correspondents. His book "Up Front" describes his experiences along with many of his Willie and Joe cartoons.

I'll give Ernie Pyle a closer look.

Thanks, Sam

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I will be in Iowa for the first couple days of Old Threshers. Let me know if you want me to bring some Ernie north with me. I have extras.