Sunday, September 9, 2018

Go Around Or Wait; Don't Drown Yourself Or Your Vehicle

The Gordon system really hosed us, and taking care of the pets at both houses was a challenge.  Torrential rain was coming down on the way over, and on the way back, making for bad visibility.  I took the long way around, and still had to make an unplanned detour for deep water in the road.  The trip over (normally 6 1/2 miles) took an hour.  Coming back took longer, plus a wait for more than an hour while I waited for the water to drop at this culvert.  We had more than 7 inches of rain, and neighbors are reporting up to 8 1/2 inches.  We don't need that again.


2 comments:

danno said...

>7 in??? Zowie! That's in the ballpark of what we in the desert expect all year! That said, AZ has "Stupid Motorist" laws. If you drive around barriers and get stuck, you will get a bill for rescue charges. I have mixed feelings with these laws. On one hand we have idiots thinking "Oh I have a humvee.. I can get through. Until they can't. And now they've risked several lives including many minors lacking the ability to object...

OTOH, we've also seen the signs left up several days after the storm where there may be 1" of water on the roadway, but also an officer/deputy on the otherside just waiting for anyone to drive past the signs an write a citation.


David aka True Blue Sam said...

Even if I am sure I can get through it, I don't want water in my differential, wheel bearings, CV Joints, and electronics. The old truck is nearly 25 years old and I figure some of the seals might not hold back deep water. I also don't want to be in the news as the old duffer who had to be rescued.