Tuesday, May 28, 2019

How Perishable Are Your Shooting Skills?


Up until Patti began failing, we shot nearly every week at Pistol League.  During the dark time of year we shoot indoors, mostly on the target you see here.  We shoot 12 rounds at 15 feet, 12 rounds at 30 feet, (both stages standing, unsupported), then from 50 feet we shoot 6 strong hand with a brace, 6 weak hand with a brace, 6 kneeling, and 6 standing unsupported.  We have shot just a few times since Patti passed away last summer, and the last time I shot, I made 470 out of a possible 480 points.  We went last week for the first time in 8 weeks and I shot one round, making a score of 459. Two months ago I made all shots in the 9 and 10 rings, and this time I strayed clear out into a 7.  I obviously was straying to the left, and all of those were from the 50 foot line.  I will work on this at home and hope to do better next time.

2 comments:

skybill said...

Hi 'Sam!!,
"Funny thing you should mention that!!!"
During the "winter months" my Boat stayed in "Dry Dock" as the Wx was bad and I went "shooting" more often than not!!!
'Groups were good and I made a good "showing" in the #10 ring!!
Now that the Wx and water are warming and daylight extends to the wee hours of the evening The "Queen Anne's Revenge" and I are out and about..
Whereas I was shooting once and a lot of times twice a week now dropped to once a month or so!!
Definitely noticeable that there's a lot of "RUST!!" that has to be blown off!!
Got GUNZ????.......OUTLAW!!!!,
"straight shooter,"
aka
skybill

David aka True Blue Sam said...

We hope to shoot this week if the T-storms lay off. One thing we have noticed is that the skills we use on targets help us on Steel Challenge shooting, and Steel Challenge helps us for the targets. Time and accuracy are important for both types of shooting, but at different levels. On steel, you want to make any hit on each target as quickly as you can; on target, we want center hits while staying within the time constraints at each stage. Shooting is fun no matter the game.