Thursday, September 5, 2019

Fun Times At Rollag


We had a grate time at Rollag! (Grates are sitting on the platform of a Minneapolis.) I walked five miles every day around the grounds and did not see everything.


One of the engines of interest is this Advance straw burner.  The firebox is set up differently than wood and coal burners, with a brick arch to keep the fuel from being pulled too quickly out the flues.  I never saw any of these in Iowa, where coal and wood could be had easily.  You have to really be on your toes to fire with straw, but that is what they did in the early days of agriculture on the plains.



While looking at the straw burner I noticed this sign.  I had been hearing rumors about Women of Steam, and Women Teaching Women About Steam at Rollag.  Someone said they even publish a calendar.

The Queen contest is for real, but I don't know how the winner is chosen.  Probably involves shoveling coal or filling grease cups!


And, Here is Lilly, the Queen of Steam at Rollag this year.  How often do you see work boots, overalls and a tiara?

Many Thanks to John In Philly for the link in his comment to an article about Women Of Steam.

4 comments:

John in Philly said...

I don't know how much heat energy there is in straw, but I'm thinking you have to move a bunch of straw through the firebox to make steam.

Thank you for increasing my store of knowledge.

This is a story from two years ago about Rollag's Women of Steam.

https://www.dl-online.com/news/4323606-ladies-steam-if-steam-king-rollag-these-engineers-are-queens

Merle said...

HMMM, I wonder what that tiara was made of? :)

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Cast Iron and Industrial Diamonds!

Merle said...

Yep, that sounds about right! :)