Monday, September 30, 2019

Susan Went Back To The Eye Doctor Today

She had surgery last Thursday, and had extensive work done directly on the retina, plus laser tacks, and a gas bubble.  She will be mostly blind in that eye until the gas bubble is replaced by fluid.  Today they tested the vision in both eyes, and the one they worked on can't even see the big E. That brought to mind a little inspiration I had many years ago when we were having repeated retinal surgeries.

Orpheus At The Eye Doctor

Biannually, that's twice a year
Pile in the car, put it in gear
In the early morning mist,
Go see the ophthalmologist.

My wife, our boy, her parents, too
I always take the whole darn crew
The Doctor is of course, elated
To have a family dilated

Can, can you see the next line, can you
See the next line, can you?
I sincerely hope you can!
Can you see the Big E?
That one should be easy!
Oh Dear, can you count the fingers on my hand?

Today, Susan could see movement when the tech wiggled fingers, but could not count them, or see them.  If we weren't familiar with how eye surgeries go, I would be nervous.

2 comments:

LBJ said...

I will be keeping her in my prayers.

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

Hoping for more progress and we'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

Another poet is among us, David!