Friday, October 4, 2019

Shade Tree Calls Are Still Coming In


I had a call from an old friend who wanted advice on dead trees.  I started with this elm.  The answer is obvious here.


The bigger problem is that this cowboy action shooting range is situated in an old field situation, which means most of the trees are ash.  This year was the big die-off from emerald ash borer.  There are lots of trees to take down, and many of them want to fall on buildings. Most of the trees can be taken down with chainsaw and wedging, but there are several that need a pull in a safe direction, or to be taken down with a bucket truck. I did not volunteer, but did recommend a logger who can teach some club members how to drop the easy ones safely.  The difficult cases will be easy to reach with a truck after the easy ones are removed.

I had another call yesterday for pruning needs on young yard trees.  I think that if I wanted to go back to work I would be busy every day, but we aren't going there.  We are enjoying the luxury of working on our own projects every day instead of trying to take care of the place two days a week.  We are going to finish up some dirt work on the back yard today.  We are thinking about getting a set of bocce balls after this project is done!


No comments: