Sunday, March 22, 2020

Staying Out Of The Office?


That shouldn't be a problem for many foresters.  The office became a time eater for me, and I moved most of my office activities into my work truck.  I equipped myself with my own computer, a scanner/printer, a phone that could be used as a modem, and for many years I went into the office only outside of working hours.  My accomplishments went way up without the distractions of walk-ins who would sit and visit when I was trying to write. At a Division meeting in 2010 the State Forester had me explain how I worked to all the other foresters.  There had been some murmuring about how I was getting trees ahead of other foresters for my CRP cases, and it was because I could check my emails from the truck, complete orders as inventory was posted, and email the scanned order minutes after the trees became available.  Look at out-of-office work as an opportunity to increase your effectiveness, and Back To The Old Grind!

1 comment:

JohnMXL said...

I'm a vehicle and ground support equipment mechanic for a certain Memphis TN-based airline.

For many years I worked 9 PM - 5 AM Sunday thru Thursday by choice for two simple reasons - I had our entire fleet inventory available for maintenance and repair without taking it out of revenue service, and I was the only person in the building for most of the shift, so I didn't have to put up with well-meaning but time-wasting co-workers.

Wish I was still on that shift.