Friday, August 14, 2020

The Devil Wears LaCrosse


Walking old Jack Dog yesterday morning I observed a track in the driveway that didn't belong. It was narrow, not a car, tractor or utility vehicle. I turned around and looked behind me; the log splitter was gone. It happened sometime after 10 PM and morning, and one of the neighbors told us that he had something setting off an alarm around 2 AM.


I found footprints. The thief walked in on the old section of road, and in the dark walked through mud.  The tracks are plainly LaCrosse rubber boots, but the mud did not print the size rectangle. They should put serial numbers on them and register all buyers, I guess. The County Sheriff came out, took photos and notes, and we sent him documentation for our splitter, on the long chance that they encounter it somewhere.  I have long held that thieves don't steal anything they have to work with, so the thief probably had a buyer lined up.  We had lots of storm damage locally, so our machine is probably helping some receiver of stolen goods work up a tree.

 
It was a good machine.  We have been using it since the fall of '09, and it has helped send many trees up the flue. It was full of gas and had clean oil; ready to work.

6 comments:

Merle said...

how sad!

robert orians said...

Sadly that is why we seldom if ever leave our farm without someone being here . We have three homes on this hill so it is not that hard to accomplish . The city druggies do a lot of country cruising looking for an opportunity to thieve something valuable . I like to sit in the shadows with my Mini 14 and my hound beside me with a nice mower or trimmer out close to the road . Popping out from my blind when they slow down to examine the offering usually results in rubber marks on the road and an interesting report to their friends to avoid the old man with a dog and a rifle . Word gets out that it ain't an easy mark .

B said...

Sadly, I have found that if one wants to keep such items, one must either make them difficult to move (remove a tire) or chain them up to something.

Anonymous said...

Thieves are opportunist scum. I leave NOTHING outside and unsecured. During the last storm and subsequent 5 day power outage we just endured, my generator was chained and padlocked to my deck. Thieves are known to drive around listening for running generators then go back and grab them when no one is around. Hopefully my chain and locks will send them elsewhere.

Robert said...

Any progress on the recovery? We should bring back thieves' heads on pikes as a reminder to the slow learners. I don't like thieves or liars...

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Robert: We found some additional evidence at the scene and bagged it for the Sheriff. We have toured the surrounding area and will do that more, looking for nice stacks of split firewood. No luck yet, though. We have made some changes so maybe we are a harder target next time. Thanks for visiting!