Monday, December 26, 2022

Tuesday Torque: Looking For Help

 Maybe some antique car expert can identify this old car. I just realized today that there is no crank, or place for one below the radiator. That can mean just one thing. This car has a transverse engine that is cranked from the side, and probably has a chain for final drive. I remember Dad talking about a car that had chain drive, and if the chain broke you had no power and NO brakes.  Up front behind the wheel is my Aunt May, to her left is Ivah, and in the back right I see the top of my great-grandmother Myrtle's head. The license plates says 1914.



4 comments:

Mr. Engineering Johnson said...

Between the radiator shape and the chain drive, it’s pretty likely an REO. They had a one or two cylinder motor mounted under the seat, not the hood.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I do believe you are correct! Thank You!

David aka True Blue Sam said...

1909 REO is a good possibility. It was a two cylinder. The 1910 model was a four, with a crank on the front.

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

Hey, David. David Burge goes by iowahawkblog on twitter and has a hashtag that people would send him photos #DavesCarIDService
You could try that for confirmation and I'd imagine he'd get a kick out of seeing this one since he prioritizes family photos.