Sunday, January 11, 2015

Guns Of The Great War

This video gives a pretty good rundown of the major small arms of the First World War.  The only problem I caught was the M1917 Enfield being shown while the narrator was talking about the '03 Springfield.  There's a good session about Alvin York.  Six Germans dropped with six shots from his M1911 is still amazing to me.  I was fortunate to visit Sgt. York's grave forty some years ago, and got to visit with one of his neighbors.  He said that Alvin really enjoyed fox-hunting.  Fox-hunting back them involved sitting on a ridge with your buddies around a campfire, and listening to the dogs run.  Nowadays fox hunters have to run foxes in pens, and it's not nearly as much fun.

1 comment:

Merle said...

Pretty good, all in all. I only saw a couple of trivial errors, such as an 03-A3. Thanks for posting!

Kind of a side note, I never saw any Browning M1917's in Viet Nam, but I sure saw a lot of M1919's.

Merle