Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The World's Greatest Entertainer...

Al Jolson passed away on October 23, 1950.  His last gig was entertaining soldiers in Korea, and even though he had just one good lung, and was sick with bronchitis, he did forty-two shows in seven days.  Visit the Al Jolson Society website, and light a candle for Al this evening.  Be sure to explore the Jolson Society website while you are there.  Many of Jolson's recordings are available for your enjoyment, such as the original Toot-Toot-Tootsie, and the rarest of Al's records, I'm Down In Honolulu Looking Them Over.

I started collecting old records when I was just a kid, and Jolson records were my favorites.  I still remember looking up Al Jolson in an encyclopedia and seeing to my horror that he had died before I was born.  It was like losing an old friend.

Many thanks to the Al Jolson Society for the great site, and the links. 

No comments: