Thursday, June 23, 2011

Easy Leaner Technique?


Small diameter leaners present a problem to the person who needs to drop them.  The excess forward weight sets the tree in motion during the back cut while the hinge wood is too thick to bend, causing trees to split lengthwise.  On large trees this is not a problem, because there is plenty of  room to perform a bore cut and create a hinge of proper thickness before the back cut is done.  Small trees don't have enough room in them to punch through with the saw, so cutters are at greater risk of being injured by these small trees than if they were cutting a sawlog.


A safe method of dropping a small diameter leaner is demonstrated in this slide show.  The compressed side of the trees is shaved repeatedly until it begins to bend over.  This is the same method we use to take the snap out of a springpole.  It is effective, but time consuming, and lifting the saw repeatedly is awkward and tiring.  There must be an easier way.
I have been thinking and experimenting on moderate leaners, and I think I have hit upon an easier method that is also safe.  The first cut is an open face aiming cut, to create the front of a hinge.
There is not enough space behind the open face to make a horizontal bore cut, so do a vertical bore cut, leaving enough wood in the hinge to support the weight of the leaner.
Now you have a hinge, and a thick back strap to hold the tree steady. 
Sever the back strap, and the tree drops, with the hinge holding it to the stump all the way to the ground.

I have tried this on a few moderate leaners and it seems to do what I want.  The next step is to try it on a severe leaner, and then on a springpole.  This cut could save a lot of time and effort in the woods.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

JimmyDean says thanks for letting me know about your new leaner technique. The concept sounds correct and I cant wait to try it out in the woods.

Anonymous said...

Interesting felling technique. It seems like it sets the tree up for a barber chair, so use caution. If a small conifer leans in the direction I want it to fall, I make a face cut and trip it from the back, nothing fancy. My timber blog is smallforestowner.blogspot.com .

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I've been using this method frequently, and it prevents barber chairs. I will be doing a few more videos so you can see it in action.

xrcr said...

I get the concept, but you really need a higher awareness for potential kickback with this move

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Don't stand in line with the blade while you do your bore cut.