Monday, August 15, 2011

Mulch Is A Fuse

 Here is a hazard that we wouldn't normally think about in the urban landscape.  This house recently was sold, and the new owner is in the process of moving in.  One of the helpers dropped a lit cigarette Saturday afternoon next to the driveway; unfortunately, it landed in landscaping mulch which was spread around the front porch. 

Sunday morning a passerby smelled smoke, and discovered that the mulch was smoldering along, and was inches away from being able to ignite the house.  We think about having green space around our homes out in the country, but city dwellers don't usually concern themselves with fireproofing the area around the house. 

No comments: