Monday, March 19, 2018

Tuesday Torque: Cranking Up A 10 HP Mogul

This little exercise was at the crankup I attended in February.  I cut off more than a minute of cranking at the beginning.  Most of the engines in this barn will run, but they are started only about once a year.  Note that the Mogul kicked back once.  Pulling over an engine with the flywheels is much safer than spinning it with a crank. Don't ever crank one for starting by putting your foot in the flywheel.  Serious injuries can result!


3 comments:

Merle said...

I learned about cranking old engines by watching my uncles starting Grandpa's ancient Farmall.....

Merle

JohnMXL said...

My hand cranking education was on a WWII-vintage Allis-Chalmers WC.

Pull UP with cupped fingers and tucked thumb - if it kicks back it will roll the fingers open.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Hang on too tight and it will pull your face down into the machine! That crank can spin around and break your wrist, too!