Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Lovely, Dark, and Deep


I had to go to town the other day for a little errand, and after taking care of that I made a little side trip to see a tree planting project I was thinking about.


Going there I went by five other projects, all six in less than a mile. They all look good.


One of them was the only project where someone was injured during planting.  The landowner was driving the tractor with a planter behind, and two guys riding the planter. You have to pump the planting foot out of the ground at the end of every pass before you turn around.

 
The old boy driving the tractor had a bottle of booze in his back pocket, and he wasn't allowing time for his helpers to raise the foot before he turned.  He rolled the planter up on its side, dumping off his workers, and one of them broke a finger.  Whiskey and machinery do not mix well.


Another one of the landowners bought a hoedad and planted his entire project by hand, all by himself.



The other four were planted by contractors with tree planting machines.  Tree planting projects always catch my eye, and many of them are a surprise when I see them, because of the years that have passed since I saw the trees go into the ground.

1 comment:

Merle said...

Whiskey doesn't mix well with anything that moves - or shoots.
Now a nice cozy den is another story.....