Sunday, November 10, 2019

Tree Bigger Than Your Saw?


This tree has been waiting for us until the crops were out. We had warm weather and favorable wind to help bring it over, so today was the day. A diameter tape showed the tree was 55 inches diameter, and our big saw has a 28 inch bar, with an effective reach of 27 inches. We have had to deal with similar situations before, and found that removing blocks around the tree is a good solution. Borecutting makes your saw as handy as a light saber for making special cuts. Find a chainsaw class if you don't know how to borecut and do open face cutting to drop a tree.

4 comments:

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

This is one reason I don't have a large bar on my saw, so I'm not tempted to try something too big for me to handle. I have a couple more boxelders that make me nervous.
Another job well done, David.

John in Philly said...

That is impressive and way past my comfort zone.
I'm still going to file away the technique because there might be need for a variation of it in the future.
Well done indeed.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame that one had to go... I'll bet more animals than the possum called that one home.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Anon: We have several decadent old trees in our timber. This one was a hazard to us and the neighbor. Cutting a snag like this is not a task taken lightly!