Thursday, June 4, 2020

Sighting In One Shot At A Time


I'm checking out a new-to-me rifle in .308.  It came with a scope already installed, so I set up at 25 yards and fired one shot.  It was high and right, so I measured, made adjustments and put it away for the next day. At 100 yards, slung up and settled into Natural Point Of Aim, I got a good trigger break when my breathing brought it to the center. I measured, adjusted, and couldn't resist another shot.


 1 1/2" high at 100 yards.  Next shot will be at 200 yards, and then deciding how much correction to dial in.  Good rifles are a joy.  Going prone with a sling is great therapy.

3 comments:

John in Philly said...

Nice shooting.
I have found that getting up from the prone position is accompanied by an annoying amount of creaks and pops, and some odd grunting noises.
Rubbing leather preservative on the sling hasn't lessened the noise. :)

Anonymous said...

Prone shooting is forbidden at my club range due to the "no blue sky" setup. To me, it is stupid because shooting prone makes it virtually impossible to send a round high over the 50' high sand bank backstop. Club members devised a platform system that would maintain the "no blue sky" but the club leadership Fudds gave a resounding NO! Unfortunately their aren't a lot of range choices in Kommiecticut.

Wolff said...

This is why I bought a small farm in PA. I have a range with 50, 100 and 200 yard positions. And it's loaded with deer.