Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Ice And Wind Got A Friend's Tree

 

A friend told us this morning that she had lost a pine tree to the recent weather and was dreading cutting it. Her chainsaw is a battery powered pruning saw, so I went. Golly, it was a sawlog! It was jammed up into its companion tree and it had lengthwise compression going down through the stem, so I had to use wedges a few times to fight the pinch. We got most of it bucked, but ran out of workspace. Our friends will swamp it out and we will finish it in a few days, plus prune off broken branches on the companion tree. That saw cuts through white pine much faster than it does through hickory.

1 comment:

Tsquared said...

I have 2 chainsaws. A 30 year old 20" Poulan 23 that I just replaced the blade and chain last year for the second or third time. It starts every time but at every tank it has always requires chain adjustment. I inherited a 34" Stihl. It is an industrial unit for the big jobs. It gets used once every year or two. Every time I need it I drop it off at the shop for a "tune-up" as I have a maintenance contract on it. Every time it needs a new carburetor. The tech insists it needs to be used weekly or the carb goes to crap. The cost of the maintenance contract is about 2/3rds of cost of a new carb. When it is working it is a great but that only happens after a tuneup.