Friday, March 25, 2022

Retired Five Years Now!


 Susan and I still roll out at 5A many days of the week, but there is no rush to get out the door and off to work. We like to spend time drinking coffee with dogs on our laps in front of the fire. We try to get in some honest work around the place most days, but naps have become part of our lives we are happy to report.

My first day working for Illinois as a forester was memorable. I had to go north on ice covered roads to attend a meeting. That was white knuckle driving, but I made it, and I got to meet many of the foresters and other biologist in the state. My last day at the end of February five years ago was also memorable. I had my equipment all inventoried and in order at my office and had to deliver my work truck to the Region V office at Benton. I was told to stay there for the day, and the State Forester would be coming to visit and go to lunch. He was a no-show, but I stayed busy with calls to landowners with ongoing projects, and I had food with me so I didn't starve. I've never heard from the big boss since, and he is retired now. I wonder if the Gov took him out to lunch on his last day.

Susan and I are doing forestry work on our own ground now, and that is something we really enjoy. This year we will be thinning trees we planted in projects covering between 25 and 30 acres. We are also enjoying seeing the forest wildlife in our timber and around the house. 


No comments: