Thursday, July 28, 2022

Ruger Mk IV, Thrill, Disappointment, And A Fix

I won this Mk IV Target model in a drawing and picked it up at a local gun store last week. I tried it out with ammo that has been running in my other Rugers and it stovepipe jammed every third round. I gave it a good brush out and cleaning with no improvement, so I took a close look in the chamber. There was some obvious metal buildup at the top of the chamber. I used a tight, oily patch with some valve grinding compound to smooth it, and tried it again. In three magazines I had only two stovepipes. I just polished it some more, and took it out again. After the second polishing with valve grinding compound, that spot is smooth, and I just ran three magazines of CCI Mini Mags with no malfunctions. The trigger pull from the factory is 3 3/4 lb, and the takedown is much easier than my Mk IIIs.



 

2 comments:

robehr orinsky said...

Those old Rugers were unbelievably accurate if you just clean them once in a while . The "Working Mans Gun " .

skybill said...

Hi True Blue!!!,
So ya' got a "MK-IV" eh??? Interesting about the stovepiping and the "fix-it!!" .... I have a 1992 "MK-II" and have shot the Holy HE2xL thru it from cheapie .22LR,s thru CCI "Stingers" and then some!! Generally clean it after a batch of round... however onetime jut kept at it!! Tried to see if I could make it jam or stovepipe pushing a thousand rounds!! Dirty as a dirt road down by your place but the critter just said,"Bring it on!!" Finally cleaned it and it still fires and ejects rounds like the first time!!!!! 'Don't know how many rounds I have fired threw her but I can say I can keep "Olen-Matheson" in business... (However ya' spell it!!)

'Would get into the in's and out's of dis-assemble re-assemble a "MK-I,II or III" but that's another story!! But then, I worked in "Aero-Space" for 40 odd years in Manufacturing, Assembly and Quality Assurance and know how to read Engineering instructions on how to install a "Credasfram on a Oscillating Rotostat!!!!!"

Blue Skyz,
skybill