Sunday, July 14, 2024

Squibs Caused By....

 I had a squib yesterday, and the bullet struck the target, so I shot again, with no bullet strike. I checked the bore and the bullet was a couple inches from the muzzle.  It punched out easily, I went back to shoot, and had another squib. Three in succession had to be an equipment issue. 


I have seen light strikes cause ignition problems before, and that was my suspicion. I pulled the bolt and found that the firing pin rebound spring had shed some coils. That causes the firing pin to not be struck properly when the hammer falls. Gotta call Prescott in the morning to order a replacement and a few spares.


It's always something. Back To The Old Grind!

3 comments:

boron said...

what would cause that?

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I think it had to be wear from oscillation creating a weak point in the spring. This happened to one of our 10/22s during an Appleseed event in 2014. I think I should pull the bolts apart on all of our Rugers and burnish the firing pins where the spring makes contact. Parts are already on the way from Ruger!

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Boron: A close look at the firing pin channel revealed that there was chatter with the milling cut that made the channel. There is a bit of washboard, and that needs to be smoothed out. My on-call-engineer recommends a diamond hone that fits in the channel to smooth it out.