Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bringin' The Message

We had a forestry workshop for landowners last week over near Albion, IL, and most of the speakers brought Power Point presentations with them. I brought wood and chainsaws. The weather was perfect for being outdoors, and folks would rather see live action than watch a slide show.
The best part for the audience was when I flooded my new saw on a warm re-start; that was good for a laugh. It is amazing how many people own a saw, but have no idea how to make the basic cuts for dropping a tree, and no-one in the crowd had any personal safety gear to wear when they run a saw. I hope the lessons did them some good.

2 comments:

strandediniowa said...

Powerpoint? - Yawn

I have a small Stihl that I used on Dad's place, but never on anything bigger than the bar (I ain't that stupid/inexperienced). It doesn't get out much since he's been gone and his ground sold.

I've never had lessons except by watching others and most certainly would gain by some lessons before learning it the hard way.

Dad had a lot of logs sawn into boards but hired the tree cutting out. He knew when a job was too big for the equipment he had and the skills he possessed.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

A sharp, good running saw is a thing of joy.