Tuesday, March 1, 2011

And There I Was, Without A Chainsaw!

 We visited the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis over the weekend, and this high stump was obviously left there just to taunt old True Blue Sam.  It's the butt end of a ginkgo tree, and it would have made a nice chunk of wood to take home for the collection, and I didn't have a single chainsaw with me.  It just goes to show you, that you should always be properly armed.

I am sure that the Missouri Botanical Gardens has many people on their staff who know lots of intricate details about growing trees, but I am a bit bothered that their cutter does not know how to drop a tree properly.  This tree was severed from the stump while standing, leaving no hinge to guide it in the right direction.  If you are thinking about dropping a tree, and you haven't had instruction in falling methods, go down the left side of this page and read the posts under "Drop That Tree Where You Want It."

2 comments:

KurtP said...

It doesn't look split in the picture at all. Like it probably would if it was felled at that cut.

Maybe it was cut higher and then trimmed so people could see both the end grain and the ,,,side profile?

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I was thinking it was cut here because it was almost waist high. With only this cut to go by, I was figuring that they did a front cut to open a face, then a back cut slightly higher, but kept cutting until the back cut was even with the front cut. Of course, without the matching pieces, this is only a guess, and they may even have chunked down the tree first with a man-lift; or it may not have been the felling cut... I still wish I could have brought it home!