Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tipping Snags Again



I had one more raw video of a black oak snag being tipped, and I sure don't want it to go to waste. My cuts on the back didn't quite match, and it took a lot of wedging to tear the two halves apart, thus the doubled-up wedges. This one was too big for my bar, so you will note that the center has been cut out from the middle of the hinge. I really like dropping snags because they don't have a crown to decelerate the stem as it reaches the ground. They make a most thrilling thump as they smack down, and it is too bad that it doesn't come through on the vid. This tree had a coon living in the top of the stem, in a hollow spot. It survived the drop OK, and ran off to another hollow tree after it shook off the shock.

2 comments:

KurtP said...

We were raising the poles that support the lighting for a track at a new school being built in San Antonio.

The guys that put it together didn't hook the cable stays to the 120" some foot power cords.
So when we raised ti to set it on the bolts, the whole cable assy. fell to the bottom. (Small plastic parts aren't made to handle that weight) So when it was up, I was in the bucket truck and dropped a rope down the inside to raise the offending cable assy up.

I had just got it up and hung out so I could look at the dammage the drop caused when I saw a black and white head looking at me from the hand hole.

Yes, it was a skunk 120' in the air with no way down.

We left him there with a new ladder to get down.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

That's one for your Memoirs! I hope the little guy got down OK. I like skunks as long as they stay out of the barn, and away from my dogs.