Saturday, March 3, 2012

Weekend Steam



UPDATED!!!
A photo album from Mom's parents has this tattered, but interesting photo of the "CIty of Nauvoo" from an unknown year during the 1920's.  The only information with the photo is 'Montana' written beneath it.  Mom has no idea who in our family went to Montana back then, and since she is the eldest 'Old Timer' now, I guess we will never know.  I bet there would have been good stories if we had only known to ask when Mom's folks were alive.

The New Info!!  We did some searching for this boat, and found a great website with lots of information about steamboats.  The "City of Nauvoo" was launched in 1885 at Rock Island, and worked for fifty-six years in the Nauvoo, Illinois and MONTROSE, Iowa area. (Southeastern Iowa).  So...When my grandmother pasted this photo in her book, she meant to say Montrose, not Montana.  It all makes sense now.  I still would like to hear about the trip.  Did they take a train, drive in a Model T, or ride in a horsedrawn wagon?  I am betting on the T, but that information isn't likely to be forthcoming.  Here is another picture of the "City of Nauvoo" from Riverboat Dave's steamboat site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sam, I was admiring your new banner and wondering if I missed, or am just not seeing, a link to descriptions of the photos in it?

-gsc1039