Monday, March 19, 2012

Hickok45's Reloading Bench

Don't Miss The Current Postings! Click Here To See The Latest At True Blue Sam!



I've been loading my own ammo since the late 1970's, and have stuck to a single stage press through the years. After watching Mr. Hickok45 crank out ammo on his progressive press, I am wondering if I should buy some new equipment. I don't shoot all that much, but loading on a single stage press actually discourages shooting to some degree, because you end up with so much time invested per round. It's something to think about.  If you are thinking about getting into cowboy action shooting, or Steel Challenge, a progressive press is a must because of the large number for rounds you will burn every week.

Click the header to go to current posts!


If you want to start reloading, but don't want to pay the price for a progressive setup, check out Lee's Breech Lock and Turret presses. These presses save your die settings for you, eliminating the need to adjust each die when you change operations. The Breech Lock press is what my mom uses, and it allows her to reload without any help from me, once I have adjusted the dies for her.

Click the header to go to current posts!

3 comments:

Julie said...

The progressive presses are nice, and you can really whip the ammo out quick. We've got a Lee, and although hubby does all the reloading, it goes quick.

The Freeholder said...

I use a progressive for pistol ammo and a single stage when I want good rifle ammo.

Also have progressives for shotguns, which can go through ammo faster than a teenage boy can go through potato chips. :-)

David aka True Blue Sam said...

I'm thinking pretty seriously about a progressive now. I haven't been shooting my revolvers enough.