Tuesday, July 20, 2021

I Found Work...

.

...So I had to write something...If you drive an old truck you always have something to do. The left rear brake cylinder was dripping a wee, or a bit more than that. We also just changed the master cylinder again. Gotta change the other side, too, then do the front wheel bearings and brake pads.


 I gotta say that I really don't enjoy doing drum brakes. The last bit where you hook up the springs is always a challenge. This time I ran a strap around the new shoes and that was a great help in holding things still while I wrestled.

The best brake job I ever did was on a 41 Willys Americar. I bought it in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and drove it 30 miles to home. The brakes were weak. You had to plan your stops well in advance. I popped the drums off before driving it again and found that all but one of the pistons in the brake cylinders  were stuck. One brake shoe was doing all the work. I rebuilt those cylinders and the master cylinder and had good brakes again. 


I let that beauty go when I was going to college. A guy in St. Louis bought it and he was tickled to get it. It's a crime to take one of these Willys bodies and put it on a dragster.

1 comment:

John in Philly said...

I don't miss doing drum brake repairs at all.
The special tool to hook the brake springs hasn't been used in a very long time and that's OK.

I feel much the same about King Pin repairs, but with more intensity.